Adult Open Gyms...are BACK!!
Come enjoy free play volleyball at the finest volleyball facility in DC. These open gyms are open to all adults regardless the skill level. The cost is just $10 for 2 hours (7-9pm). We will have 3 volleyball courts set up. Teams are not created before you come to the open gym. Everyone gets the chance to play with new people and make new friends. Skill level normally ranges from BB-C. Feel free to bring your friends!
General layout: Three courts (beginner, intermediate and advanced). You select where you play. We do not cap attendance. Games to 15 (11 if attendance is high). You win you stay, lose you're off. Win two in a row you are off as well to cycle folks through. We aim to create an enjoyable, fun Open Gym atmosphere where there is space for players of all levels.
Time: All Open Gyms are 7-9pm
Location: Charles E. Smith Center (600 22nd St. NW)
Tuesday, March 28
Wednesday, March 29
Tuesday, April 4
Wednesday, April 12
Tuesday, April 18
Wednesday, April 19
Wednesday, April 26
Tuesday, May 2
Wednesday, May 3
*This camp/clinic is open to any and all entrants (limited only by number, age, grade level and or gender). This is an adult camp so all participating members must be at least 18 years old. Spots can not be reserved and will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
Find us on Meetup!
All open gyms will be held at the Smith Center (600 22nd St. NW). Open gyms cost $10 per person. Open Gym Rules can be found below:
1. All games will be played to 15 points (rally scoring).
2. After each game, the loser will leave the court.
3. After a team wins 2 games in a row it will leave the court.
4. A team representative may call “next” on the court by writing his/her name or the team name on the board below those already in line. Only 1 name per team is allowed on the board.
5. It is that representative’s duty to find players who are not currently in the game to fill his/her team. If the players sitting out will not fill the team, players may be chosen from those who just left the court.
6. Just before a team takes the court, the representative should erase the team’s name from the board.
7. Each player may be playing or waiting on only 1 court at a time.
8. The “Red Court” is reserved for the highest level of play, then the middle court, then the not red court so that it forms a continuum ending with the lowest level of play on the upstairs court.
9. General guidelines for skill level will be assigned at the open gym. If you don’t know where you fit in, please honestly assess yourself using the following guide:
D - Picnic Ball - I’ve played volleyball at several barbecues, but I’ve never played in an organized match or league before. To date I've never really attempted to become proficient at passing, setting, hitting.
C - Entry-league level - I've played volleyball more than a few times. I attempt to pass, set, and hit the ball as often as possible, but it needs more work. I may have played in C-level leagues before, but not beyond that. Two equally skilled C-level players should be able to bump a ball back-n-forth 5-10 times (in control), most of the time.
Note: C-level players should be practicing and/or taking instruction to improve their skills.
B - Middle league level - I’ve played in a few organized leagues and my skills have progressed well beyond beginner level, or I’ve played some school team or club volleyball, but my skills are rusty. I can pass, set, and hit with consistency most of the time. I'm always trying to get better. Two equally skilled B-level players should be able to bump a ball back-n-forth 30 times (in control), almost every time.
BB - Upper league level - I’ve played competitively at a high level in the past, and continue to play in leagues and tournaments multiple times a year. I expect my team to run an offense and complete the pass, set, hit sequence on almost every play. I have a position(s) that I generally play.
A / AA - Highly skilled - I have college or advanced club level experience. I participate in other A or higher tournaments and leagues regularly. I am highly skilled.